Ok so maybe it's not the END of the world but it is annoying. Ryder is being tested for a peanut allergy! Ugh. No snickers, no Hershey's, no PEANUT BUTTER!! What am I supposed to make him for lunch? What is easier than a PB&J? I might actually have to make lunch. This is not fair.
We went to the pediatrician, who on a side note I LOVE and would recommend to everyone, and explained his symptoms. She is like 99% sure he is allergic so she sent us to the local children's hospital to have blood drawn. I was ready for this, I brought snacks, the IPod, his blankie and a sippy cup. I called my dad and alerted him that he might be on Scout pick up duty if this took as long as I was anticipating. Boy was I wrong! We were in a room in less than 3 minutes, Ryder didn't even cry! They had a numbing spray and he watched the whole thing - he is totally not my kid. I got nauseated and seriously thought I was going to puke. The super sweet nurse was spending her time coaching me more than she was Ryder. They validated our parking and we were out in less than 10 minutes. If you have to have blood drawn from a kid it is the place to go. So then we head to Target to kill some time and pick up Ryder's medicine, did I mention he also has an ear infection? We got 2 prescriptions - the ear medicine and the dreaded EpiPen! I have the kid with the orange sticker a church. The one that spoils every holiday for everyone, no peanut butter cookies in this class! So now we wait for the results - they should be in Tuesday or Wednesday. So cross your fingers, maybe it was just a fluke that he broke out in hives and his eyes were swollen shut both times I gave him a peanut butter sandwich.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
oh I am sooo sorry I hear al of this...poor Ryder and YOU!!!!! let us know when you find the results out.....how did this all come about???
Ok, so I worked with young kids for a few years in OKC, and we weren't allowed to give the PB until they were two because they are more likely to get the allergy when they're younger. Maybe if he's allergic now, he won't always be. You may take him back before he starts Kindergarden and have him checked again if he's allergic now.
Bummer, dude, especially about eating PBJ's at lunch. I TOTALLY feel you on having to actually make lunch :( I'm glad the appt. itself went so well.
On the bright side, I've heard allergies can fade with time - especially since Ryder is so young, this is a definite possibility!
Post a Comment