Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Remember the time I thought I had it together as a mom? I had made dinner the night before, both kids got baths and were in bed at decent hours. In the morning both kids were up and fed before 9, beds were getting new sheets, the dishwasher was humming and I went into the garage to start a new load of laundry. I thought to myself, "Man, I should totally get mom of the year!" And then I heard a little click, a slightly familiar click. It took my brain exactly 2 nanoseconds to realize the "click" was from the lock on the door knob. Yes, my angelic little 20 month old had locked me in the garage - securing him and his little brother is our house. PANIC!!! I ran to my neighbor's house, she is also a stay-at-home mom, but guess who decided not to stay home today! I ran across the street and asked to use our other neighbor's phone. I called Dwight who immediately got in his car and headed home. But my neighbor asked if she could try to open the door. We walk into the garage and I swear, with 2 jiggles of the handle and 1 swipe of a blockbuster gift card she had the door open. I have never been so excited that someone could jimmy my door. Both boys were unharmed and we made a Sonic run to calm my nerves - if only they served tequila I might be fully relaxed. Never again will I think that I am mom of the year - I think I will stick with Scout and Ryder's mom, its easier and much less stressful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
That is one of my biggest fears...getting locked out of the house or my car with kiddos in it! Yikes! Glad everything is okay!
And, I appreciate your honesty from the last post. I can relate!
Yikes! I'm glad your neighbor could break in for ya!
One time I was moving the carseat from one car to another and went ahead and turned the car on and put Ryan in the passenger seat to play while I went to get the carseat. Somehow he pushed the lock button down and he just stood there pushing it down over and over. My phone, keys, everything in the car and it was running. And he was just happily playing with the Sonic cup, pens, etc. AAAAHH. It took me 40 minutes to get him to figure out how to roll the window down. I knocked on three neighbors doors...I was convinced they weren't answering and were calling CPS.
And...does your neighbor have a record....???
I'm so glad your neighbor now knows how to break into your house. :) J/K!
I let John V lock himself in the car. Twice. Once he unlocked it himself, the second time he was buckled in his seat and in total slow motion, I watched him throw the keys on the floor. Had to call the fire department because we had no idea where the extra keys were. It was awful.
But, I will say, enjoy those precious and rare moments when you feel like mom of the year. To Scout and Ryder you always will be because you're theirs! Remember Abby's classic Mother's Day care group comment, "You're the best mom I've ever had!" You're the best Scout and Ryder mom EVER!
That is one of my biggest fears!!!
I am glad you and the boys are all okay.
That is also one of my biggest fears! It hasn't happened to me yet, but it seems to happen to most mothers. I am sure my time is coming! Despite being locked out, it sounds like you still have it together!
And, like everyone else, I appreciate your last post. Post-pregnancy hormones are worse than during pregnancy hormones in my book. Love you!
Oh man! That is a hilarious story. : )
This happened to me when I was 6 months pregnant! Elise was inside playing and I was locked in the backyard. I was barefoot and in a skirt! I climbed my tubby butt up on the fence and started yelling, help! Finally, a neighbor came out and let me borrow his phone. I ended up jumping the fence so I could see in the window to watch Elise until Jonathan came home. It was so scary, but now makes me laugh. I still can't believe I jumped the fence when I was 6 months pregnant!
I am glad things were okay! You are a great mom!
OK that is a funny story, now that it is over. So sad I didn't read this before I saw you today. You are still Mom of the year in my book. Interesting your neighbor could break in so easy. : )
Post a Comment