Tuesday, October 09, 2007

We interrupt the list for a very important question.

Okay - I know I gave a list of topics I was going to cover in my next few posts but something happened last night and I had to share.

I was coaching my Upward Cheerleading squad and it was time for the mid-practice devotional. We all gathered in a small circle and I started with the outlined curriculum. We were talking about the path to salvation. This can be tricky for younger kids, and as most of my squad is 3rd and 4th graders I was trying to be sensitive to that fact. I was at the part where we talk about God being Jesus' Father and that He was born to Mary - when a little girl with the biggest brown eyes looked up at me and said, "Wait a minute! God has a girlfriend?!" It took me about a minute to recover and I started to explain that God was not human like us and that no, he didn't have a girlfriend that he placed the baby inside Mary. The same precious doe eyed babe exclaimed, "Oh, so they broke up?"
Now, I was a Bible Study Fellowship Children's Leader, I have taught 3 year olds at church, we now work with Jr. High kids on Wednesday nights, and when I was younger I worked with mentally challenged kids - I have NEVER had a question like that before. How do you prepare fore that? I thought I was ready for everything. WRONG!
She ended up staying after practice and we talked a lot more about the Bible and how this whole story starts. But as I got in my car I died laughing - I would never even have considered that God and Mary were boyfriend and girlfriend, it is outside of my frame of reference (way outside!).
I will keep everyone updated on how things progress with this precious, sweet, adorable, and extremely inquisitive child!

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Hilarious! Kids will certainly challenge your creative explaining abilities! That's a question I've never had either in all my years of teaching kids!

Wade said...

That's hysterical!

It's those type of questions that I fear as a parent! I'm sure you did great in handling her questions!

Shelly said...

I love it! Those kids are so blessed to have you as their coach!

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

So good to see you and talk with you Sunday. It is crazy what runs through kid's minds! I'm glad she asked you that question and you straightened it out for her! By the way, thanks for the pediatrician recommendation also!

Natalie said...

I think the funniest part of this story is seeing the mental picture I have of you coaching cheerleading as pregnant as you are! GO TEAM! What kind of Herky (sp?) jump was that???

laura said...

Oh my goodness, that is too funny! I can just imagine the look on your face as you were processing #1 what she actually asked and #2 how to actually respond! But you did great Coach!

The Sexy Knitter said...

That is TOO funny! What a question. . .she was definitely listening to what you had to say with her whole mind!