Monday, November 20, 2006

A Falling Down Life

I knew at some point it would happen - it happens to all parents. But I must say that I pride myself on being the mom that CPS would never even create a file for, and then tonight... I was headed to my sanctuary, the one place where I feel the most relaxed, Scout doesn't cry, there is a plethora worthless magazines, free cokes, chairs that massage, and a whirlpool at my feet. My nail spa. It is a retreat, a small oasis in my life of motherhood. Even Scout likes to go, he will sit and smile at all of the pretty girls that work there (it is hysterical) and at just the right point he falls asleep. They rub oil on my aching feet, they wrap them in warm towels and always tell me that my nail color choice is perfect for my skin tone.
Anyway - we are headed to the nail spa and all of the parking spaces out front are taken so we have to park further down. I get him out of the car, I start towards the spa - so far so good. And then...I missed a step and sent Scout (in his car seat) crashing to the ground with me not far behind. I freaked out! Before I really knew what had happened I was poking him and looking for a response and he just looked up at me with those huge blue eyes and smiled. It was then that I felt the searing pain from my knee. I pulled up my pant leg to reveal the hugest bruise and cut that was dripping blood. I was shaking and the whole time Scout is giggling. So with the first fall behind us I feel like we have achieved a new level in our relationship. I feel like Scout knows I will let him down in the future, that I will fall again. And it was a relief to me to realize that my son loves me even when I let him down. So with that moment behind us Scout and I proceeded to the spa and got one of the best pedicures ever - the color is amazing! I recommend Espresso Your Style for the holidays.

2 comments:

laura said...

Tara,
I wandered to your blog from Wade's and loved your thoughts today. Just wait til Scout starts walking, they will amaze you at how resiliant they are. The first few times that Nathan bonked or fell were a little traumatic for this mommy, but now, he konks, rubs his head a little with his hand and keeps on going. They are so funny! God bless you and your little guy!

Staci said...

I'm glad that he was in his carseat! I bet he thought it was lots of fun! lol