This blog is for my friend Wade. He and his wife are expecting their first little boy very soon. There are some things I wish someone would have told my husband.
1 - take a warm blanket and pillow to the hospital for yourself, your wife will not want to share
2 - if she ends up having a c-section don't say, "told you we shouldn't have gone to those breathing classes."
3 - take tons of pictures
4 - help her get up out of the bed
5 - drinks from Sonic are always nice
6 - have a signal so she can tell you if she wants you to clear out the room (mine was to scratch my nose and cough but I never had to use it)
7 - some of the nurses are anti baby books (Babywise, Happiest Baby, etc)
8 - if you decide to be happy parents, regardless of what happens - your little boy will be happy
9 - relax, life is going to change but hey, when was the last time life didn't change?
10 - invest in a book called Baby 411, it rocks
11 - having your son circumcised can be traumatic for everyone involved, DO NOT GOOGLE circumcision it will not make anyone feel better
Not that I am some great sage of wisdom on parenting, this is just what we have learned
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'll second the Sonic drink! My slush tasted sooooo good!
Good advice Tara. I second the picture thing. We had a little girl June 5. About a week after we had Mallory, I was going through our digital camera and realized there were NO pictures of me holding Mallory!! Fortunately, lots of our family had pictures of that. But, it wasn't a good thing to find out a week post-partum with hormones raging:) My poor husband.
I will add some more:
1. If you help pack your wife's bag, don't pack her size small sexy panties that you picked out of the back of her drawer. They won't fit and she will probably cry looking at how small she used to be!!!
2. Once they have told your wife she can't eat anything, don't eat in front of her. Especially a little debbie nutty bar where she can smell the peanut butter from across the room.
3. Take her emotions with a grain of salt. Everything will make her sad and angry and all you need to do is rub her back and let her cry or gripe a little.
4. Something I LOVED is that Charles took me out on a "last date" for just the two of us. We went to a special place and got whatever we wanted and talked about all the fun and special things we had done as a childless couple.
Tara, you're the greatest!
You made Kelly cry! But the good pregnancy hormones kind of crying, of course!
And for once it's all great advice that we, ahem, I can actually use!
1. I'm hoping adrenaline will keep me going for the few days at the hospital - I'm not expecting to get much sleep in those futon chairs.
6. Somebody suggested to tell our nurse our signal as well so she can be the bad guy and kick everyone out.
7. Really?
8. Word.
11. Yeah, my attitude used to be, "Hey, circumcision happens!" But now I'm, "Aw, poor guy!"
Hey Shannon - I'm gonna be depending on you to remind me of this stuff! Don't let me forget!
Hey Jules - Thank you as well. Feel free to drop by with anything else you think of!
Hi Tara,
You're so sweet to dedicate a whole blog entry for some good parental advice for us. Yes, I did cry when I read it...everything makes me cry these days! :)
It is all good advice. I especially like the c-section, Sonic, circumcision, and just be happy ones.
We'll be sure to keep you posted!
Post a Comment