So in the previous post I discussed going to the dinner honoring Bob Hunter. Well on the invitation to said dinner it said that the attire was "black tie optional" - first of all that is rather vague. Who says something is optional, if its optional then I'm obviously not going to do it. Like if a professor ever said class this week is optional - who really went? Needless to say all of the very handsome gentlemen at our table wore suits and looked fabulous.
But for women what does black tie optional mean? I wasn't going to wear a tie in the first place so now that it is optional you can definitely forget it. Does it mean really dressy Sunday, does it mean the black strapless floor length dress from my best friend's wedding, or do I need to get crazy and pull out a dress from a formal? After much discussion and deliberation we decided it meant dressier than Sunday but not sequins (apologies if you wore sequins). Well I have several amazing dresses in my closet that fit this description only 1 small problem....they don't fit. No big deal right? I can shop like its my job. So on Monday I started at one end of Northeast Mall and went to the other end and back again - nothing. I called my littlest sister, she said try Anthropology. Perfect found an adorable white dress, bought it, took it home, Dwight liked, returned it on Tuesday. Spent Tuesday crisscrossing the Galleria with my sister - nothing. On Wednesday I went to J.Crew. I opted for the simple black strapless dress. As I was trying it on I was having trouble getting it zipped so I asked the saleslady (who up until this point has been very pleasant) to get me another size. And then she has the audacity to recommend that I just wear some Spanx to make the dress fit. Now, I wear Spanx, I love Spanx, I wrote a blog about Spanx - but I do not need anyone telling me to wear Spanx. Now I was determined, I got the smaller size on and then I bought it. I got it home, tried it on with Spanx and promptly returned it on Thursday. I ended up wearing a dress I bought when I was pregnant and it looked great and I felt great.
But this got me to thinking - where can you go and buy good after pregnancy clothes? Something cute and trendy (not trashy) that fits a changing body? No where!! So I am going to design my own clothing line and I would like suggestions from moms. What did you want to wear right after you had your kid? What type of fit, fabric, and style did you like most? If there was one article of clothing that you wanted most to have that you couldn't find to fit, what was it? Seriously I am going to do this because next time I have a baby I want to feel cute and not be told my some over zealous sales person to put on Spanx.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
what is your 9 can stew recipe?
Tara-
I think this is a wonderful idea! I would love to see your line of clothes...I think you look fabulous by the way...Spanx or not...
Have a great day!
BJB
The hardest thing for me to find was jeans that didn't cling unattractively to my new post baby butt and hips - full-figured jeans, if you will. Also, everything I bought had to be machine washable because I had a major spitter of a baby!
I want the recipe to your 9 can stew also. Perhaps you should post it?
I still want to know where I can find some of these spanx I keep hearing about!! This body could use some!! I agree with Becky - you look great. Maybe we need some kind of store where you just have "loaner clothes" for while you are in the "transition" period? Could clothes be rented out then brought back after a certain amount of time? Probably a bad idea, but I sure understand the frustration of having a closet with good clothes that you can't get on, but you don't want to invest in a whole new wardrobe when you are hoping the condition isn't a permanent one!!
Hey T,
Weird question: Any chance you were at Anthropology in Southlake Town Center this past Saturday afternoon?
I stopped in to get a gift certificate and thought I saw you but couldn't get a good second look to be sure. The person I was thought was you was close to the changing rooms so I didn't want people to think I was a crazy stalker guy!
Bummer if it was you - I would have loved to have said hello . . . in a non-crazy stalker guy sort of way!
W
Wade - not me. I was haning out at mi casa all day.
Tara,
I think you have to forgive the salesgirl for recommending Spanx. They all do it now (I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago). It's a way of convincing a customer to buy a dress that doesn't exactly fit. They're probably instructed to do it, for economic reasons that don't have anything to do with how you look. I do love Spanx btw and I wear them all the time. They work like a girdle, smoothing you out beautifully, without making you suffer, or at least not too much (even though they can be a little bit of a struggle to get into in the morning). LOL. I get mine at Nordstrom's.
I would like to have shirts that are attractive on HUGE nursing boobs! I felt like I had flashing lights and arrows all the time. "Look here,they are right here and check out this clevage that hits the floor"!!! I don't know if their is anything cute that can be created to make the girls look appropriate. Good Luck with this and I am willing to help in any way. :)
I want shirts that don't cling to my tummy...yet aren't so huge and baggy that they look like maternity shirts! I also need a jean solution. The low rise jeans let my extra belly hang over in a very unflattering way...but the higher waisted jeans aren't very stylish! I want some stretch jeans that flare...but have a higher waist to tuck my belly into!
I like Kate's idea about rentals! You could do an internet mail order where you get return labels too to send them back when they get too big. I guess after a certain amount of time you could have the option to buy? Maybe that'd give us the incentive to lose weight so we could trade in the clothes for a smaller size! lol
Good luck with your clothing line! You're going to have so much fun with that!
I can't believe someone who actually wanted to sell you a piece of clothing had the audacity to suggest Spanx...
Okay, another comment from Sarah!
I was thinking about this last night, and I thought of a couple of potential names, so here they are, completely unsolicited:
Postmodern
Or, if you want to be a bit more obvious (and this one's growing on me):
Postmodernity
Hope you like! I'd love to help you on this as I've been doing some design work myself recently, so if you need or want help sewing samples, let me know!
Post a Comment