Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Escape Plan

Are you ever in an elevator and think - how will I get out of here if something happens?
Today I was in a parking garage and I thought if this thing collapses how will I get out. And if I can't get out what do I have in my car that I can use to keep me and Scout alive until help arrives. I know this is a little weird, but I have found myself doing this a lot lately. I notice if the elevator has an escape hatch on the top, I am very conscious of where emergency exits are located and yes I would like to sit on the exit row because I feel I am best prepared to pull the window down and push the glass out, just in case. I can tell you the best way out of my house in case of a fire. I have mentally rehearsed getting Scout out of the car seat in less than 10 seconds and I am fully prepared to jump through the window in his room to get my family to safety.
I told you a little weird, but this is what was on my mind today.

7 comments:

Wade said...

You're not crazy, Tara.

Just the other week I walked out to the parking lot of the restaurant Kelly and I were eating at and noticed about 4 or 5 teenagers huddled around the trunk of a car looking at samarai swords.

My first thoughts were "Those can't be real!" and "Aren't they supposed to be illegal."

When I got back to my table I quietly took note of the fire escape door just in case those teenagers decided to bust in and attack everybody.

I didn't tell Kelly at the time b/c that kind of stuff REALLY freaks her out.

But yeah, I had an exit strategy b/c some kids were playing Kung Fu outside in the parking lot.

Staci said...

I think it's great that you're prepared! Scout will love the fire drills when he gets older ;) lol

Courtney said...

Oh, the joys of being a mom! You think about things like how fast you can get your child out of the carseat and how far his or her window is from the ground. Believe me, nothing out of the ordinary there!

Kendra said...

You are officially a "mom" now, especially if you even go so far as to imagine the scene in your mind with a lump in your throat as you ponder something endangering the life of your child. I do the same things all the time! Yikes!

christine pinson said...

you aren't weird at all...ever since jack was born, whenever he is in the car with me, i find myself constantly thinking about which way i would need to swerve so that i will get hit instead of him...

so thanks! you actually helped me to know with this post that i am not weird either! or at least not as weird as i thought!

Chesley said...

Tara I do the same thing. I even go so far as to picture myself clawing someone's eyes out that is trying to hurt Garrett. I feel like a mama cat sometimes. Here lately I have been thinking about my escape plan with all of the other babies I am keeping. As a child I would come up with exit strategies in my home in case of a fire or an invader. I still do this and I work out different senario's in my head so I am well prepared. I hope I never have to use any of my plans. I am so glad to hear other people do this too!

Chesley said...

"scenario" I got so excited about being a mama cat I wasn't paying attention to my spelling.