Thursday, July 27, 2006

Out with the old and in the with the new

What would you do if you pulled up to your house in the middle of July and there were 9 white reindeer - with lights - all aglow? My parents have finally decided to rid themselves of the white deer decorations and I voted to sabotage someone's yard with them. I am taking suggestions on who the victim should be so feel free to give an opinion.
At my parents house they have a detached 3 car garage, it has become somewhat of a catch all for things that there wasn't room for or we wanted to keep. Well my parents finally decided to clean it out. Oh my gosh we are pack rats!!
Was it really necessary to save my dirty cheerleading socks or every megaphone that I had? But you see it is not just my stuff its all six of our stuff plus some of our spouses stuff. Dwight and I have to go over there and go through 8 boxes of nonsense that belong to me. This is junk that spans at least 2 decades(I'm not quite 30) and it is just sitting there.
My sisters and I have already looked through some of the huge pile and we found cute little baby clothes that we all wore and all of our old dance costumes and bonus of all bonuses my Barbie dream house. It is sooo 70's it is hysterical. My parents wouldn't buy me a Babrie dream house (obviously I wasn't loved at all - that's a joke) but when Julie Ogburn out grew hers I got it. Now Julie is about 10 years older than me so while girls my age were getting the dream house with the elevator and really cool stuff mine was rockin the shag carpet. At the age of 6 I was already retro. So someday when Hayley (my adorable niece) and Adalyn (my other adorable niece) learn to play with Barbies they too can be retro also.
When we had finished digging through we started laughing about old times. And then one of the old times posted on my blog - Wade Strzinek! You see Wade used to play drums to accompany the cheerleaders (we went to a very small school and there was no band). And since me and my sisters were all cheerleaders we started doign the cheers and really I thought I would laugh till I wet myself. It was awesome, we all did a great rendition of "Hey people in the stands let's all get up and jam!". Maybe you just had to be there for it.

5 comments:

Wade said...

First of all - I only have 2 precious vowels in my last name so please put them in thier appropriate places - Strzinek!

Continuing on now - Tara you have not changed one bit! The funniest thing to me is that you blog exactly how you talk! Giggle!

Hey People was my favorite because I made up a cool riff during the part when you do that shoulder thing and jump (Since I WASN'T a cheerleader I don't know the technical term for the shoulder/jump thing!). But I'm glad at least someone enjoyed it!

I'm dreading the day when my parents make me clean out my old room!

Shelly said...

I just want to say that I am not one of the spouses that has something in that garage. I have been fortunate to receive all of my "keepsake" boxes from my parents over the past several years as they have moved twice. Let's do our kids a favor and not save all of their junk for them. (except for their cute, pink outfits that are monogrammed like Tra's) :) Ha ha!!

Oh---and I SO wish I could have been there to see the cheers. You'll have to perform at our next get together.

Do you have any video of Wade playing the drums with yall? That would be fun to watch!

amerriman said...

I love going through my old stuff at my parents. We need to have an old cheerleading party, we can play with our old megaphones together - I still have mine too!

Wade said...

All video/audio evidence of that time of my life has been destroyed to protect my self-esteem!

Wendy said...

My parents showed up at our house (in Abilene) a couple years ago, under the guise of a friendly weekend visit, but they started unloading trash bags full of stuff of mine they had cleaned out of my old closet. Gotta love that.