Thursday, July 13, 2006

International Scout


I know I had promised to post more since I was on bed rest, but I guess I was wrong. So since my last post here is what has happened:
Scout was born!! YEAH!! On June 21st we went to our doctor's appointment only to hear that he was not dropping and my body was not changing like it was supposed to. At that point our doctor said we had to do a c-section (which was fine with me because I don't think I am a fan of labor pains). He went to schedule the surgery and came back and told us he couldn't get us in for the 22nd or 23rd but would the 24th work for us? It was so surreal, it was like at that moment we realized we were actually going to have a baby. We scheduled Scout's birth for June 24th at 7:30 am. It's so crazy that you can just schedule when you want your child to be born.
So we had 2 days to kill before his arrival. I got a pedicure and Dwight played golf, we figured we wouldn't be able to do either one of those things for a while once Scout arrived. We went to dinner on the 22nd to celebrate our 4th anniversary. And on Friday night we went to dinner with my parents, Abby (my youngest sister) and her boyfriend Griffin. We went to Boi na Braza, its a Brazilian restaurant and one of my favorites, and we celebrated our last night as just the 2 of us. Friday night neither one of us could sleep. I woke up at 1 am and thought we were late for the surgery - I was so filled with anticipation and excitement it made it impossible to relax.
Finally Saturday morning got here! Dwight and I drove to the hospital and went straight into pre-op. They started me on fluids and gave Dwight scrubs to put on. At about 6:30 my parents and Dwight's parents got to come in and see us. It was really a special time. My dad lead a pray for us and and Scout. Then they took me off to the operating room. Just a side note if you ever have to have a c-section I highly recommend Dr. Gagnon and the staff at Baylor Grapevine. Dr. Vu gave me my spinal block and talked to me through the whole procedure. They finally let Dwight in and that's when I started crying, I think I was just overwhelmed with emotions. Dr. Gagnon came in and literally 15 minutes later we had a perfect little boy. Scout was born at 7:45 am on June 24th - he tipped the scales at 9 pounds 7 ounces and 21-3/4" long. He is perfect!
I got to see him for a little bit and then Dwight got to take him to the nursery for his first bath and shots. On his way to the nursery he got to meet his cousins, aunts and uncles, and his grandparents.
I had to go to the recovery area for a few hours. They finally brought Scout in to my room and the nurse said we should "try" to feed him. Well let's just say Scout is a Le Leche champ - if they were to give awards for nursing Scout would get gold medal. The rest of our stay was pretty uneventful - until the circumcision. I know this procedure has been done on little boys for roughly 4,000 years but when they took my little boy to go do it I felt like the worst mom ever. It didn't take to long and we felt very confidant in the doctor but still it was horrible. The nurse finally brought him back and I cried again. After the circumcision we got to go home.
I don't remember much about the first couple of days - its a mix of sleep and feedings. He went to the pediatrician for his first visit - everything went smoothly.
And then, since we don't have a whole lot going on we decided to replace all of our flooring. We decided to put tile in the kitchen and bathrooms and wood laminate in the living room and hallway. So Dwight hung out at the house and Scout and I went to Tra and Shelly's on the first day. I love hanging out with Shelly - its like having a big sister and I need a big sister. Then on day 2 we went to my mom's house and did a bunch of nothing.
So here we are - Scout is roughly 20 days old and things are going great. We have much to be thankful for and much to praise God for.

No comments: