Friday, January 08, 2010

How Twitter saved New Year's Eve

About 2 months ago my brother made reservations at Eddie V's for New Year's Eve. We were all pumped. I secured a babysitter in November and started trying to plan what I would be able to wear over my ever expanding belly.
2 weeks before NYE my sister, Alyson, and her husband ended up coming in town for an extended visit - which was amazing! I got to meet baby Leighton way before I thought I would and let me just say she is the cutest thing ever (along with all my other nieces and nephews). Anyway at the last minute they extended their trip to include NYE with us. Uhoh - the reservation was for 8 and now 2 days before the big party we need to add 2 more people. Well my brother makes a call and is told they can do nothing, which is understandable it is New Year's Eve after all.
Well I can't stand the thought of us all not being together sooo I turn to my Twitter account (taralgo for anyone who wants to follow me). Eddie V's thinks I'm pretty fun apparently and they follow me. So I posted a tweet saying something to the effect that NYE was in jeopardy of being ruined. Not kidding with in 10 minutes of my post they had responded to me and said they would take care of it. I got a call saying it was impossible and there was no more room and then an hour later I got another call saying a table for 10 was taken care of!! NYE was saved, all of us could eat together. I sent another tweet saying thank you. And on NYE we all had a blast. So thanks to the power of technology my whole family got to play high/low (an annual tradition), enjoy amazing food, and chow down on a TO DIE FOR bananas foster.
So if you are looking for a fun, dressy place to eat I highly recommend Eddie V's

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Now that is impressive!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi, T,

Very good news on your family.:)

I am glad it worked out NYE.

I was asked to come to a party 30 minutes away up a great big hill in a fairly rural area just outside of Greater Vancouver (Mission) for New Year's...so I went. I arrived there in the pouring rain to an empty locked house. The hosts meant January 1. Now I have asked some others if they were asked to a party for New Year's would they think it meant December 31st and they all stated they figured it was short for New Year's Eve.

The hosts asked me over again by phone on January 1 for the actual party and I said naaa, just did that. They were very apologetic and I was at their place for dinner Friday evening. I apologized too in case I made a mistake.

Good friends.

Russ

satire and theology

thekingpin68