Friday was quite possibly my most productive day ever! I made the beds, cleaned out Ryder's closet, moved all of his clothes in with Scout's, cleaned out Scout's closet and drawers, swept the kitchen floors, did some laundry, did a load of dishes and was about to wake the kids up from their naps to head to the zoo with fun friends. When it happened. I pulled Ryder from his bed and he felt a little warm. Now Ryder runs about 10 degrees warmer than any other natural human but he still felt warmer than normal. So a quick thermal temp later it was confirmed he was at 102 degrees. The zoo was out, Motrin was in, and I started dinner. We just hung around the house till about 6 when we started to notice that Ryder's breathing was getting worse. He was laboring with each breath and he was starting to cough. We decided to do a web check in at Care Now. They called and said it was going to be 2.5 hours before we could see the doctor. That's cool, we could wait at home and I was good with that. But at 8ish his breathing was getting really bad - I suggested that we call 911, but since we all know that I have a tendency to overreact, that was quickly shot down. I ended up taking him into CN early. I got there and said they hadn't called us yet but he was getting worse. The check in nurse said to give her a minute. We were in a room in less than 4 minutes, a nurse was examining him within a minute and the doctor was in the room 30 seconds later - pretty much positive its a record for them. The doctor barely listened to him and said they were moving Ryder to triage, going to start a breathing treatment and they were going to call 911. What? Wait?? We are already at the doctor's office, why are they calling 911? Ryder was in respiratory distress and needed to get to the hospital. It all happened so fast, I called Dwight. He was like, "ok what should I do?" And of course I told him to do what all responsible adults do, "Call Shelly!" Shelly is my sister-in-law that lives less than 2 minutes away and Scout could go there so that D could come to the hospital with me.
The paramedics arrive, and they are beyond sweet. One of them went to my car and got my car seat to strap to the gurney and then put Ryder in that.
We were in the ambulance in no time and zipping off to the local children's hospital. We pull up and let me just say that it was nothing like Seattle Grace or Mercy Hospital in Chicago! No nurses running around and no one standing in scrubs to meet us outside. HE was wheeled in and the nurse told the paramedics to take him to the waiting room. Not kidding. The super sweet paramedic commented that it was against their policy to just drop patients in the waiting room. We were quite the sight I'm sure. A very calm little boy, in a car seat, on a gurney at the triage sign in. There were probably 150 people in the waiting room and of that almost 75% had on masks - ummm awesome. We were taken back to triage pretty quickly and then to a room within 20 minutes. Ryder got another breathing treatment, some steroids, and then we waited. By this time its 10:20, we were told the doctor would be back in 2 hours to see how Ryder was and discharge us if he was good.
At 1:30 Dwight had waited enough - he found the doctor and we got cleared to go home. We were all tucked back in our beds by 2:30. I feel like i haven't recovered yet. Ryder is still breathing heavy, not as bad, and my pediatrician said its just a bad case of croup. Such a bummer, but man Friday was crazy!

3 comments:
Wow. That's scary! Maybe next time he'll let you call 911 and skip the middle man ;) I hope that Ryder's feeling better by now!
Poor Ryder and poor you! I am sorry for the drama but glad that Ryder is okay. I agree with Staci. While I hope that isn't a next time, you should definitely just skip the middle man.
Post a Comment