Friday, May 08, 2009

True he ain't pedigreed..

Phoenix. We have such a love hate relationship. More of the he loves me and I love to hate him. It could be said that I am not much of a dog person but Phoenix and I had settled into our relationship over the past 8 years. He was a cute and well mannered mutt. Half golden and half yellow lab he really was very pleasant and good natured. He loved the boys and never once in all of his life did he snap at anyone.

When I was in Denver 2 weeks ago Dwight texted me to say that Phoenix wasn't eating. Which, since he is part of our family, is just plain weird. He seemed to perk up over the next few days, he even chased the boys around the yard a few times. He was wagging his tail and eating so we figured he was on the mend.
On Sunday, the day after my birthday, everything was running smoothly. We weren't fighting :) the kids were dressed, the bags were packed, and we were all in the car with plenty of time to stop for donuts. Just before we pulled out of the driveway Dwight ran back in to feed Phoenix. I waited with the boys and double checked the sippy cups. Dwight came back out and with tears in his eyes announced that Phoenix was dead. Now as much as I hated the dog, I immediately started sobbing and pretty much cried the rest of the day. Dwight stayed home from church and took care of everything. It really was horrible.

The past few days it just seems weird to look in the back yard and not see Phoenix hanging out on my patio furniture. Scout has asked multiple times to feed him. Not sure if or when we will get a new puppy but we sure do miss Phoenix - even me!


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Tara, I'm just tearing up all over the place. We are crazy dog people (and Macy looks a lot like Phoenix) over here and understand the bond dogs can have. Love the video!

karen said...

What a sweet post about Phoenix :) The last picture of Phoenix with your boys is precious! I know y'all will miss him, but Dwight especially so. Sympathies to all. KT

Unknown said...

I am sorry, Tara! As a dog lover, your video made me cry. It was a sweet tribute to Phoenix.