Monday, October 27, 2008

City of Brotherly (and Sisterly) Love

A few weeks ago Shelly called and asked if, since they were getting a new swing set, we would want their old one. I jumped at it - the swing set is awesome and Scout loves playing on it, I couldn't think of a better deal. A free swing set and we know Scout already loves it plus the added bonus of a little one on one time for me and Ryder while scout was playing. I was soooo excited. The plan was the company was going to Tra and Shelly's set up their new swing set and then bring the other one to us and set it up. I got the call on a Thursday morning that they were at my house - bummer I was in Dallas for a meeting. Oh well a few simple instructions over the phone and we were good to go. I got a fun text message from Shelly exclaiming her joy over the new swing sets so I couldn't wait to get home and let Scout play. I wrapped up my meeting, had lunch with Abby (she moved to Abilene last week), picked up Scout from school and headed home. We immediately went into the backyard to check out the funness. And to my shock and initial horror a new swing set was being set up, not the one that was supposed to be there. I panic and ask the guys to stop, explain the situation and tell them they are at the wrong house. The very nice guy checks his paperwork and assures me that he has the right house and the right swing set. At this point, still a little panicked, I call my parents (I know we can have long discussions about this later but when in doubt I am always going to call my parents). My mom in a very soothing tone tells me its ok and to call my brother. My mom is never that calm, and I start to catch on that something is a little fishy. I call Tra and tell him that I have asked the guys to stop working and take the swing set apart and reassemble it at his house at which point Tra goes silent. He lovingly explains that he didn't want his own kids playing on the other swing set so how could he send it for my kids to play on so he and Shelly ordered us a new one instead. I was floored, we could not be more excited, Scout could not love it more. Since Thursday we have spent a minimum of 2 hours a day out there, some with Scout just out playing by himself. Isn't that the nicest thing you have ever heard?
So I vote that Philadelphia is out as the city of brotherly (and sisterly) love and DFW should be in!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great story...very sweet!

laura said...

What a great big brother!

Rebecca said...

So sweet! The funniest part to me was that you actually believe that a company was volunarily going to dismantel an OLD swing set, move it, and reassymble it at a new house that didn't buy one from you.

We miss you guys. I wanted to say hi on Sunday, but Jo needed me, so I ran out with her to the parking lot. We definitely need to get together soon. We will be packing up the house in a couple of weeks, so after that, we'll probably have to wait until December when we move.

Courtney said...

Too fun!

Kristinsgirls said...

What a great brother! I wish he was my brother now lol.

Monica said...

What a great story!!! Yeah for Uncle Tra!!! They totally got you!!! Your boys are in heaven I am sure!!! It is the perfect time to be outside too. Enjoy!!!

leslee said...

very very sweet... yea for you...

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

that's a sweet story. way to go Tra and Shelly! enjoy the new swingset, Tara

Chesley said...

Good ol' Tra! Such a goood brother! :)

How funny that I read this story tonight when a few hours ago I was talking with Cody about the old swing set T and S bought and how we should check that place out to get one. Now I read that Tra doesn't want his kids on it. We shall look elsewhere as well.

Brooks Inc. said...

I loved reading this...I am forwarding this story on to Sam and Andy! :)