Thursday, May 01, 2008

Sorry I skipped a day

So here are 2 stories.

First -
When I got married we had to make 2 trips down the aisle. No, I didn't get cold feet. We did all of our pictures before the ceremony but I wanted the moment Dwight saw me to be super special. So 2 hours before the ceremony my mom's dad walked me down the aisle at our church while the music was playing to meet Dwight. Dwight and I had a few moments to talk and hug and pray and then the picture taking started. Then when the ceremony started my dad walked me down the aisle to hand me off to Dwight.
The reason this is so special to me is the bond I have with my granddaddy. He is an amazing Christian man, who stands by what he believes, loves his family, prays for his family, has been married to my Mullie for 68 years, and he knows the names of all his kids, grand kids and great grand kids. Hard to believe but from just his 3 kids he has 10 grand kids and 21 great-grand kids. I love that he was apart of our amazing wedding day.

Second -
I once shut down American Express.
I was on a Spring Break campaign to Seattle, my brother was in Colorado, and my parents and sisters were on a cruise. My dad gave me an AMEX to use on the trip and thought we would be good to go. Well on the campaign they have one day where they drop you off downtown, take you wallets, and tell you to fend for yourself for the day. When we got home that night I went to get my credit card and it was gone. I just knew it had been stolen during the exercise, so what does any logical person do? I called my dad's company's CPA (he really is the 3rd smartest guy I know, first is my dad, second is Dwight, third is Steve) got the credit card number, called AMEX and put a hold on the card. Well as luck would have it, the card had not been stolen only dropped in the car, oops. So I called AMEX back to let them know they could take the hold off of the card. Well they can only do that with my dad's permission. I very politely told the lady that he was unavailable but before I knew it we were using very ugly tones and I hung up on her. I called Steve back, he called AMEX - nothing. So I called my dad, on the cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean, and did a 3-way call with AMEX. Problem was solved right? Wrong - they had to issue a new card that was overnighted to the office in Fort Worth and then sent to me in Seattle. Never again will I put a hold on a credit card!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey- I went on the Seattle Campaign, too...and did that same exercise. I'll have to tell you the story about accidently discovering an underground operation for illegal immigrants.

Rachel said...

how sad is this...i actually led that campaign and don't remember this excercise. what is wrong with me? i have lots of great and meaningful memories from that trip though...
i've decided it's pregnancy and kids ~ they suck your braincells!;)
glad scout is okay!