This piece is as an editorial only - if you disagree with my opinion (which you are free to do) there is no need to post a hateful, vengeful, or tacky response. In the same breath if you agree with me there is no need to slam anyone who disagrees. We are a friendly blog and I would like to keep it that way - ok on with the show!
Instruments:
Ok, here's the deal on where I stand - take it or leave it, its my opinion - on instruments in church. I'm not a huge fan. I'm a traditionalist, I like to sing songs from the hymnal and I like to "do church" like we always have. I learn something every week, I still cry when we sing The Old Rugged Cross and When We All Get to Heaven. It is who I am and its okay. Now, if you like instruments - great. I don't have a problem with that at all, as a matter of fact I think its wonderful. I'm married to a person who likes to worship with instruments so I can totally understand.
So a few weeks ago we went to Saturday night service b/c Dwight was going to be in a bike race on Sunday - and being a traditionalist I would rather go on a Saturday than skip church. We get there and the instruments are set up, we see a few friends, Scout hits the nursery to check out the ladies, and service starts. It was one of the best services I had ever been to. They combined songs from the hymnal with modern music and then mixed in some U2 (you can see my previous post about sneaking into their concert, they are my FAVORITE band). It was uplifting and wonderful. Now - I'm not a Saturday night convert but I think I might be more willing to go in the future.
Kind of random I know but hey there is more to come from the list!
Monday, October 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Glad you enjoyed it! Change can be such a difficult thing but I think the most mature people are the ones who can see the good in something even when it's not their personal preference! I have to say, I love the good, old a capella stuff myself!
It's like God set up that service just for you! :) Looking forward to the next posts! Especially "moving" and "my poor, sweet in-laws". love ya--
Hey T,
Compared to some of the other instrumental services where we have visited lately, I have to say that Richland Hills' service was my favorite!
We'll definitely be back!
I have really been wanting to try out Richland Hills' new instrumental service some weekend when I am in town. I tend to like accapella music better, but like you, instruments don't really bother me. I guess it is just a matter of preference, but I have heard great things about Richland Hills' Saturday service! Did Scout find any good ladies in the nursery?
We talked about possibly going to that service...but I'm a traditionalist too...and I don't know if I could handle going on Sat. night rather than Sunday!!! lol
Glad you were blessed. I love both for sure. I sure miss getting to see all my early service buddies from Sunday now that we are on Saturdays most of the time now. That's been the hardest transition for me . .just growing and changing of the body.
Post a Comment