Tuesday, March 20, 2007

America's Drive Thru

I went to Sonic today, which isn't much different than any other day, but I went to one by my sister's house in Dallas. It was sort of busy but not slammed, so I order my Route 44 water with extra ice and lime and a small coke - somehow I feel better if I order the big water and the small coke, it keeps the world in balance - and then I wait for them to bring me my drink. I have the exact amount of money, because I will never tip a Sonic waitress they make at least minimum wage and I don't tip the people at McDonalds so I want to be fair to everyone. The girl walks out with my order and comes up to my window and the proceeds to ask me - "Now what did you have?" Huh?! Isn't that her job to know what I had ordered? Doesn't it say on the receipt - parking space 4 large water extra ice and lime and a small coke? Really do I have to repeat myself? So I tell her and then she hands me my water and then holds my coke ransom until I give her my money; like I would drive off without paying. So if you are in the neighborhood do not go to the Sonic on 635 between Macarthur and Olympus, they are no good.

8 comments:

Wade said...

Hey T,

Having worked for tips before (but never while making minimum wage), I can't help but be a generous tipper even at places like Sonic.

It's just that I remember how hard I had to work just make a $3 tip.

But I agree, if the person isn't doing thier job then they don't deserve a good tip.

By the way, what's the deal with Sonic lately? I pulled in to the Eastland Sonic last week for a cherry limade slush but ended up driving away empty handed because nobody buzzed in to take my order even after I hit the button twice!

Sonic's going down hill!

W

Unknown said...

I don't tip either, but I do go for the LARGE vanilla Diet Coke. No smalls here! We go to Sonic so frequently that even if we just drive by one and Jackson sees it out the window, he starts saying, "Coke" over and over - not that he has ever had one or anything. I guess he just knows I drink way too many Sonic Cokes!

Staci said...

I go for the Route 44 Diet Cherry Limeade ;) That was a strange experience you had.

The Sexy Knitter said...

Mmmmmm....Sonic! Boy, do I miss those Strawberry Limeades! And I'm with you, I never tip at Sonic! How does walking my food ten feet from the door to my car necessitate a tip?

Amanda said...

I'm so with you on the tipping thing!

My favorite is the Route 44 Vanilla Dr. Pepper...even though I should be drinking the Route 44 Water. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

I make the daily visits to Sonic as well and we had a wierd experience at the one off of 35 & Basswood on Saturday. I will keep the story short and just say that after waiting 15 minutes for our drinks we left empty handed and Bryson was not happy (neither were Brian & I).

Route 44 water??? Personally I have to have a cherry diet coke to make it thru the day! Kendra

Kelly said...

There's nothing like Sonic ice!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I don't tip at Sonic either, everyone in my family does but I refuse. They make 7 or 8 dollars and hour, if they were making 2.13 which is the standard hourly pay for the wait staff in resturants, it would be a totally different story. Plus I am always at Sonic-the one by the old N Hills mall knows me by name :) By the way, got your email-I haven't responded but I will it's just been busy here.