Okay so Scout became an active member of society today - we opened him a bank account. It was so much fun, we went to the bank and filled out all of the paperwork and they are sending him deposit slips.
Here's the deal - his real name isn't Scout, Scout is a nickname. So all of his legal documents have his real name but all of his fun stuff has his nickname on it. So let's say he get a birthday check sometime in the future and they make it payable to Scout Goodwin - what do we do? Legally Scout is not a person. I am thinking about amending his birth certificate to read his full name plus his nickname. I don't know what to do.
Friday, February 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
just endorse it with his nickname and then below that his legal name that is on the bank account.
Hey ,
My nephew's name is the same - we all call him Trip but that's not what's on his birth certificate - and they never have any problems like this.
As to the bank account, you can put it under the name 'Scout'. Or, you can put under his legal name and add 'Scout' to the signature card.
Almost all banks will also let you have an "Also known as" name list where you can list other names to be accepted on the account.
You shouldn't have to change the birth certificate - only if you want to.
W
Shelly is not on any of my legal documents, but I endorse all of my checks "Shelly." And like Wade said, there are places on the paperwork to put his nickname so it will work out okay. Poor Jack---same thing. I never thought I'd do it to my own kid. It drove me nuts all throughout school on the first day when the teacher called role, "Michelle Brooks" to which I would reply, "It's Shelly." And then my friends would snicker and say, "Michelle?????" EVERY YEAR. But I'm glad my name is Shelly. Scout will love his name too.
At least he won't be mistaken for "Ira." :) love ya--
Shelly (& Tara),
I got the same treatment since my first name is Robert. I probably would have stuck with Robert if I knew people wouldn't shorten it to 'Bob' - I never understood how you got Bob out of Robert.
But to me, having a unique name like this sets you apart from the other kids. It will always be a story for Scout to tell. Unfortunately, so many kids are given names that carry little significance. Good names, but no story.
Plus, when he's older, Scout will appreciate how it's a great way to fend off telemarketers. They always call me and ask for Robert.
"Sorry, wrong number - no Robert here!"
My brother, Luke, has the same situation because his name is William Lucas. He has never had a problem with the banks and such either. Wade has a good point about telemarketers. I could always tell when it wasn't someone that Luke really wanted to talk to because they asked for William. Anyway, I hope that after these success stories, you won't have to go through the hassle of changing Scout's birth certificate!
People call and ask for Chelsey over here. No Chelsey here! I akways know it is someone that doesn't know me. My dad is the same because he goes by initials. It's really nice.
The name on Scout's birth cert. is a part of his heritage. I really like the name Scout!
Post a Comment