Sunday, July 27, 2008

We're All Angels

First of all - the title is from a "documentary" on Showtime, I don't believe we will become angels when we die. Changed, yes - angels no. Second - this blog may contain some hot sports opinions, if you disagree that's fine. If you agree that's fine too but no dogging on people who don't agree.

We're All Angels aired 4 weeks ago but commercials started running for it in the Spring. I was taken aback at the ads for the show. 2 "Christian" singers, based in Houston, who were in a long term relationship - so far no big deal. Until they reveal that the 2 singers are both male. UMM hello??
Jason and deMarco are Christians and sing about their love for the Lord as well as crusading for gay rights. They feel that the Bible has been misconstrued and misquoted to exclude gays. They also feel that if you don't accept them then you are not following what Christ would have you do (at one point they quote Matthew 7:1 as a reason for their acceptance). They pretty much rail on all organized religion for not accepting them.
It's interesting to watch and see churches invite this group in and then allow them to spread their message of God's love for homosexuality.
I think my overall reaction was sadness. Sad that there are churches and Christians allowing this to happen, sadness that these men feel they are doing what is right, and overwhelming sadness for people who hear their message and choose to follow. I agree with exactly nothing that they said, they twisted scripture, they made it into what they wanted it to be to serve their purpose. I watched the show in total disbelief. And I was reminded once again that if you draw a line against something, in the name of religion, you are deemed to be unintelligent of intolerant.

At the same time it showed people protesting Jason and deMarco at concerts and churches. And I can see how people might think that Christians are unintelligent and hateful. The people yelling horrible mean things and waiving hateful signs are doing nothing to promote Christ.

I think the true problem is that this documentary clouds the waters of Christian thinking and makes it harder for people to discern the truth.

No comments: