While I am being completely honest about my obsession with music my husband says is teeny-bopper music, I feel I should also confess something else. I am a gatecrasher. This didn't start until I was well into my 20's and I had met Dwight. Really - we can blame Dwight for my downfall into breaking the law.
It all started with a Dave Matthew's Band concert at Texas Stadium. Dwight, Aly and I just decided at the last minute to go - without any tickets or anything. So we drive up to the reserved parking and Dwight (the true mastermind of all of my crimes) tells the attendant we are with the car behind us and so we are waived through. We find a FRONT row parking place and wander up to the gates. We see a group of people standing by the chain link fence waiting to be let in, note - they were all wearing backstage passes around their necks, so we go and mingle in with the group. Well about a minute later the gate opens and security wheels someone out on a stretcher - once again the mastermind says to follow him and just keep walking. So we walk in as they are wheeling out some poor soul who actually paid for a ticket and now wouldn't be able to even enjoy the concert. We start walking really fast - we hear voices telling us to stop and we press on. We cross the ropes to get in with the main audience (I know it seems backwards most people sneak backstage but we were going the other way) and find amazing seats. We stayed until the first encore but by then it was way to hot to stick around for any more.
My second round of breaking the law. Dwight and I are avid U2 fans - as are most of the people in my family. The last time they were in town we were supposed to get tickets but someone, who shall remain nameless, forgot to buy the tickets. So Dwight decides we will go down to the venue and try to scalp tickets. We stop at the ATM and get what Dwight thinks is a reasonable amount for 2 seats. Well this is not even close to the amount that the scalpers think is reasonable for 2 tickets. We walked around the American Airlines Center so many times I was afraid if anyone blew a trumpet it might fall down. We get back to "home base" and Dwight says we are going to go around one more time and while I am asking scalpers he is going to try all of the doors to see if we can get in. I kid you not - the VERY FIRST DOOR opens. Dwight was so shocked he closed it and walked away and then went back to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. So we look around and no one is paying attention so we just walk on in. Now we are in the bar that is part of the AAC - we can see the main concourse on just the other side of a crowd. Dwight grabs my hand and again we walk fast and just keep on going. We are in! We call my sister, whose in laws had actually paid for tickets, and found seats near them - ON THE FRONT ROW!!! Seriously I could have touched Bono at several points during the evening. The only bummer was that we ended up with seats next to Chris Siedman (who is a really great guy) but I just feel awkward sneaking into a concert and then sitting next to a man who had just finished preaching a Saturday night church service.
There - I have confessed, not only do I like teeny-bopper music I also sneak into concerts!
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Tara, Tara, Tara . . .
At first, my jaw is on the floor. But then I think, that's Tara!
Let me know the next time you head out to a concert!
One of my greatest high school regrets was paying $150 for 2 U2 tickets (Lemon Tour) and then not going because of a scheduling conflict - which was a FWC Homecoming football game! I was the band - how could I not show up to the Homecoming football game?
I seem to remember your brother offering to buy my tickets, but he changed his mind at the last minute so I guess I'm not the only one who wasn't thinking straight.
I soo should have gone to that concert! I can't even remember who we played or if we won.
You crack me up!! I never knew this side of you!! Kinda fun memories with your sweetie, though, huh?
Tara *gasp*! lol. I have to admit that I'm not really shocked...although I'm a little shocked that you'd admit your criminal side to the whole world! lol
oh now that's funny! Way to go girl! I know I don't need to encourage you but I think that is AWESOME!
I once drove to an NSYNC concert in Houston b/c I could get better seats than in DFW. I was on the 5th row. It was so much fun!
Susan
Post a Comment