Sunday, July 15, 2007

Children of Beslan

I don't know why I set myself up for this, but I knew it was coming. I recorded a documentary about the children in Beslan, Russia who were held captive by terrorists from Chechnya. I didn't finish it - it was possibly the most horrific show I have ever watched. It is not visually graphic in anyway but so see and hear 5 year olds describe people being shot is emotionally disturbing. One little girl - maybe 7 - describes watching a terrorist being blown up by another terrorist for not following orders. Another little boy - possibly 9 - takes the camera man on a tour of the school where they were held hostage. He walks into one room and turns to the camera and says, "this is where they shot my dad and then through his body out of the window." They recount stories of drinking urine, keeping their hands raised, people being shot, and other atrocities.

I can't imagine what crosses peoples minds to make them think that taking a school filled with children is the best answer to any problem. After 9/11 I thought how could I have kids and bring them into a world that has lost respect for human life - and then I watch a children describe a life that I cannot even comprehend and I am at a loss for words. It is unfathomable to me to treat harmless children in such a manner.

No sooner had I switched off the documentary than the news came on - one of the lead stories was a man had tried to sell his baby to a couple that wanted to adopt the baby to be able to post bail for his girlfriend. When the perspective adopting couple refused to pay the father kidnapped the baby and is still missing. And this was where we live! I look at my baby sleeping peacefully and I feel the tiny one inside me kicking and I cannot comprehend how any human being can do this to children.

What hope does the future have if this is how they are treated as babies and children?

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Heavy thoughts today . . .the world is a nutsy place. I'm with my 4 year old, Colby - we were talking about heaven today and when he laid down for naptime, he said, "Hey, Mom - I sure can't wait to see Jesus! What do you think he'll be wearing?" To which Tyler promptly answered, "You know, that long white shirt!". Come quickly . . .

Wade said...

I can't handle all these stories of children in horrific situations. I recently read a story about Nazis and Jewish children that literally made me sick to my stomach.

But Kendra brings up a good point, we bring children into this world so that they may know and love Christ. Sometimes we get confused in thinking that it is the world that is supposed to be perfect.

I gain some peace by believing that meeting Christ someday will by far make up for all the crud this world has dished out on us.

In my mind, that moment will be the perfection that this world could never achieve . . . especially if He's wearing a long white shirt!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Good points, Tara.

Sadly, in the western and eastern world there is among some a devaluation of the importance of family and children. I do not have my own kids, but I think my friend's children are very special. My hope is that the Lord will change the hearts of many in both western and eastern society to see that the selfish, individualistic attitudes only lead to destruction. The abuse of the family and children is a major problem of evil, no doubt.