Thursday, June 07, 2007

Let the punishment fit the crime

After only 3 days in jail (I'm not going to count Sunday or Thursday) Paris Hilton has been released. Now she was originally put away for 45 days, that got knocked down to 23 days for good behavior BEFORE she even went in, and the ended up serving only 3 days. Are you kidding me? If I were in jail for something similar let me tell you - I would kill someone! This is completely unjust - she broke the law on multiple occasions and then gets to spend the rest of her 45 day sentence under house arrest, her house is about the size of the entire jail unit she was in. I don't understand how her refusing to eat and crying all the time negates the fact that she committed a crime. The real message that has been sent here is that if you are rich enough and white you don't have to follow the laws. It is absurd. If this exact situation had happened to a poor, African American man he would be in jail for at least 3 to 5 years. How as a country can we feel good about what is going on? She was driving drunk - she endangered not only her life but the life of everyone else on the road with her, then she didn't follow a judges orders, and she barely gets a slap on the hand. What do you think she really learned from this event? Absolutely nothing. it makes me sick at my stomach because I am sure she is sitting at her house thinking that she got away with this. Where are her parents? Mine would say, "Sorry, we love you, you broke the law." And Paris' parents are saying that their poor baby is being persecuted. Are you kidding me? I hope that I will be the type of parent that teaches my kids not to drink and drive, but if they do that I will stand on the side of what is right and let them be punished appropriately.
So shame on you Hilton Family and shame on you District Attorney of California.

3 comments:

Wade said...

I'm thinking about boycotting all Hilton hotels because of her!

(Oooo! That'll show her!)

Wade said...

Looks like the judge in California read your blog . . .

The Sexy Knitter said...

Well, you also have to consider that the reason she got caught was probably due to the fact that she is, in fact, Paris Hilton, and therefore sticks out like a sore thumb while driving down the road in her Ferarri. Really, what are the odds that a "normal" person breaking a parole like this would actually get caught?

Not that I'm saying she should have gotten off or anything. . .certainly if you do get caught, you should take your punishment, I just don't think there would have been much chance for her to get caught other than being who she is. Make sense? : )