Monday, March 26, 2007

The Break Up

I hate breaking up, not that I ever had so many boyfriends that this became a problem but I hated it none the less. I don't like movies about break ups, I don't like to think about past break ups, and I would greatly prefer to never have to break up with anyone again. That said - I am breaking up with my pediatrician. Today was the last time, I can't handle the emotional roller coaster. Seriously I feel like I am going to the Principal's office every time I go in for Scout's checkup.

Today we go and the sweet nurse (I will miss the nurses, they are both way nice) shows us to our room, takes Scout's info, measures and weighs him, and then tells us to wait. In comes Dr.T and begins to tell us how Scout still isn't gaining enough weight (he gained over a pound and he grew almost 2 inches) and that he wants us to start putting BUTTER in all of his vegetables to increase his caloric intake. Are you kidding me?? BUTTER??!?! I am not about to give my 9 month old butter. There is no way that it can be a healthy practice to shovel butter into his little system. Can we talk about clogged arteries at Scout's 12 month check up? I mean really. And after I am to feed him butter I am to introduce him to processed meats. Now I love a hot dog as much as the next girl, and I can put away the pepperoni pizza but do I want my baby chowing down on this stuff? I don't' think so. I just feel like maybe Dr.T isn't looking at the most healthy approach to weight gain, and I don't think Scout has a weight issue.

We are supposed to go back in 6 weeks for a weight check. I am putting in a request for his medical records this week and I want to start interviewing other doctors. So here is where you the reader come in - do you like your child/children's doctor? Do you always get to see the doctor (as opposed to a nurse practitioner), does the doctor spend more than 10 minutes with you, how many other patients does the doctor have? I am wanting a small practice where Scout will be a patient and not just a file folder with some papers inside. I want the doctor to take the time to know where we are coming from and to understand why we are making the decisions that we are in regards to raising our child. Any help would be welcome!!
Thanks.

15 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I wish i could help you find a good doctor, I will ask my friends if they have any suggestions. good for you for calling it quits. I hate mean doctors. Good luck!

Kelly said...

The butter thing sounds strange to me too.

I love our pediatrician. Granted, it's been less than 4 months, but I've been so impressed each visit.

It's Cook's Pediatrics, but is actually a really small practice in Grapevine with only 2 doctors and 2 nurse practioners. I've seen our pediatrician (Dr. Sandra Arca) every time we've gone. My OB/GYN was the one who recommended her to me.

Tate was actually having some weight gain issues at 2 months, which ended up actually being a breastfeeding problem. It was such a sensitive issue for me, but she was great...especially the day I had a little emotional breakdown right in front of her!

Wade & I have both been impressed with the amount of time she spends with us on the visit.

I've got nothing else to compare to, so I'm not sure how much is normal or not? But so far, so good for us.

Courtney said...

You know I love Dr. Wheeler! He not only remembers what's going on when he has your chart in front of him but also when you run into him at church and he remembers to ask about what was going on the last time you saw him! I am usually able to see him but I almost never have to go except for well checks so I'm not the best one to ask. Hope you find Dr. Right! :) And you know that my vote is that Scout is absolutely perfect in every way! I think your soy switch seemed like an extremely smart idea and a lot better than your doctor's! Yikes!

Unknown said...

Sorry about the pediatrician problems! We had to switch pediatricians here recently, and although we have to drive 45 minutes, we are SO much happier!

We used Dr. Kilgus when Jackson was born in Grapevine (he was actually my pediatrician), but he isn't taking new patients; however, when we went in for Jackson's two week check-up, Boone and I were VERY impressed with Dr. Eric Hopkins in that same office (only three doctors in one office, and Kilgus is retiring so it is small like you want). He happened to be walking in from the hospital when we did and talked to us, but we also saw him stop and talk to each of his patients sitting in the waiting room. He seemed really personable and like he remembered his patients very well, and Boone and I both commented that if we ever moved back to the area, we would definitely use him.

He is actually in the Cook's Children's Physician Network also, and the office is located on Lancaster right by Baylor Grapevine. Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you find a better pediatrician for Scout soon! (Also, if this guy does happen to be your current pediatrician, then you should let me know if I ever announce that I am moving back to the area)!

Staci said...

Wow. That dr. doesn't sound right in the head! I absolutely love my dr...but I'm guessing you don't want to drive 7.5 hours to go to the dr ;)

Wade said...

Hey T,

Let me introduce you to a little phrase that Dr's like to throw around (particularly at us drug reps): "What's the research behind that?"

You're basically asking if what was suggested is based on research or is it just what 'Aunt Edna' used to always say.

So the next time your Dr (even if he or she is Dr. Right) suggests something that sounds like it's from left field, ask "What's the research behind that?"

If they mention an article published in such-n-such periodical by some big name university or research facility then it's probably legit.

But if the Dr stammers around and says that's just what they always did with their kids "and they turned out just fine" - then ask which medical school of comedy they got their degree from and then proceed to the nearest exit.

I mention all of this to add to Kelly's recommendation of Dr. Sandra Arca. She routinely begins sentences by saying "The latest research shows . . . "

I understand your frustration though. I am reminded on a daily basis that Dr's are not perfect - but thank goodness there are some really good ones out there!

Happy hunting,

W

hejlyeah said...

I know it can be hard to find a good dr. - we're on our second, but she's great. Spends about 10 mins with us each time, he's never really been sick, so she just likes to chat. Finding someone with a good disposition and who shows a genuine concern is actually, and sadly, really hard. Unless you want to drive to Austin, good luck! Sara Hejl

Unknown said...

Our sweet Jack goes to Dr. Deitchman. That is also where my sister Marianne has taken her girls, Melissa Jo and Mary Kate for all their years. He is at Cooks on Precinct Line.
Jack started out with another doctor, but he missed a couple of big things, and Dr. Deitchman was a better fit. He even came up to me at NRH20 this summer and said hi to Jack. I wasn't even sure who he was, but then Melissa Jo introduced me to hm. I was impressed that he knew him well enough to call him by name outside of the office setting. Kathy had to take Jack in last week since Christine is in the hospital and Dr. D took the time to get up to speed on what was going on and what to look for in Jack. The important thing is your comfort level. My kids grew up with a pediatrician and went to him until they were 18. That embarrasses them now, but technically, that was the right thing to do. In Christine's case, it was probably one of the "human" factors that saved her life.
Anyway...good luck in your search! And - you are right about the butter. Roy's cardiologist says that even though butter is better than margarine, the whole "less is more" should be introduced when we are very young.

(Also, I have a funny Sonic story to tell you next time I see you!)
Hugs -M

Kendra said...

My vote is for Dr. Dietchman at Cooks in NRH as well. We have gone to him with all the boys and LOVE him. He looks like a Doogie Howser - young (even though he just turned 40), cute, black spikey hair that Colby LOVES. He spends time talking with me about all the boys when we go in - not just the one I'm currently in with at the time. He sees several kids from RHCC - and he's quite famous for his circumcision skills! he!

I've really appreciated the way he takes my mom opinions into consideration as well. We've had to make some tough choices about immunizations with our kiddos due to medical concerns with Tyler, and he's been great about discussing why we need to not go with traditional schedule, etc.

Several of our patients at my office use him as well, and the nursing staff has been great to work with.

So there's my plug for Dr. "D" (as we call him).

And just so you know, with babies with serious weight gain issues, it is very common to recommend putting real butter or even oil in their foods to boost caloric intake. I'm not so sure about the processed meat thing, but I've recommended adding butter - but again, usually just with babies who are like in danger of failure to thrive or something! I think your cutie looks great! I loved the way he got excited when he saw Brady on Sunday!!

laura said...

Tara, if you were living in Brownwood (I'm sure Wade would let you tag along on his road trips :) I would have the perfect pediatrician to recommend. I will say though that the thing that meant the most to us during our time in Brownwood was that Scot (our pediatrician) went to church with us. It meant the world to me that he "knew" our family. When we went through serious nursing issues and post-partum he and his wife would call and check on us... his wife would make grocery runs for us if we needed her to and Scot was always accessible to us. The other thing that I loved about him was he was not afraid to look things up... if I asked a weird question and he didn't have the answer right off the top of his head, he didn't try to make something up, he would get back to me after he had looked into things. So, sorry no name dropping, but at least some things to keep a look out for I guess. Good luck on your search!

Wade said...

I'm in Brownwood next week. Feel free come along but it'll be an early start!

:)

Kendra said...

Ok, Tara, I checked with our feeding specialist today at work, and she confirmed that it really is very common for kiddos with weight gain issues to have butter, heavy cream, even oil to their bottles and pureed foods just to help increase calories. So, your old pedi isn't nuts - it's just whether or not your cutie really needs to gain weight or not that's the issue I guess. I still don't like the thought about a lot of processed meats for such little ones, but I understand the need that some kids face for boosting calories. Isn't being a parent such a fun journey full of fun things to figure out? You are a great Mom!

Shelly said...

That is VERY interesting about the butter and heavy cream thing. Learn something new every day! I guess it's similar to whole milk then they're one. Not great for adults, but necessary for babies. Thanks for the info. Kendra!

And I'm stealing Wade's question about "What's the research on that?" Good one!

angela said...

We love our pediatrician! We go to Dr. Eric Benzick in Southlake. We have been going their for 4 years. He has been Alex's doctor from day one. Jason asked around to other pediatrians in the metroplex before choosing him. Many doctors in other parts of DFW highly recommended him. He doesn't even have a nurse practitioner, so no worries there. If his nurse feels you need to be seen, you will. I have been worked in during their lunch hour in the past. We were the only patients there. I have never felt rushed. He is also very giving in the information dept. You don't have to worry about knowing what questions to ask because he provides lots of information. My sister, for insurance purposes, had to switch doctors and really misses Dr. Benzick. She feels like her new doctor wants her to ask questions and she doesn't know what to ask. Dr. Benzick was the chief resident at Children's and the head of Pediatrics at Baylor in Grapevine for a while. Other specialists and hospitals nurses really like him because he has a type A personality. He won't overlook important things, but isn't too quick to do too much either. We have had a lot of success with him. I highly recommend Dr. Benzick.

Julie said...

We at the Kiser house love us some Dr. Wheeler too!

There is something about knowing that your doctor loves God and is looking out for the health of your child and not just trying to shoot them up with medicines or tricky ideas just to try something out or because it is the norm.

We had a long talk about vaccines and when he wanted to put Ryan on medicine because he was still spitting up soooo much (about a dozen times while we were in the room with him) he only suggested medicine after we tried everything else in the book.

Give him a holla if you don't find something else that suits you more.