Monday, October 16, 2006

Change, Homecoming, and Ferberizing

Change
I hate change. Despise it. I think it is horrible. I don't like to change my hair, the brand of mascara I use, my nail polish color - I hate it. Change makes me nervous, it makes me jittery. Our church changed our service time to 4 o'clock over a year ago and I am just now to the point where it feels a little more normal. Well this past weekend we went to Abilene. The hotel we always stay in has changed its name 3 times in the past 2 years, you can imagine how this went over with me. But the great thing is that regardless of how many times they changed the name nothing else has changed. I walked into our room and it was like a breath of fresh air, the rooms are exactly the same. I love consistency, it was a relief, it was comfortable. The breakfast was the same - eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, pancakes and cereal if you want. I love it - I will stay at the MCM Elegante (formerly the Embassy Suites) every time, they have won me over by not changing.

Homecoming
Now you may not know this about me, but I am massively insecure. I don't like large crowds, I hate walking into a room filled with people, and pretty much anything with name tags is out. But this year was my 5 year reunion and we decided we were going to go, we went to see Abby, to see my friends, and to show off the cutest baby ever. So we decided to go to the reunion dinner. For the past few weeks I have gotten sick thinking about going. What if I remember people and they say, "Tara who?" or what if people remember me and then I say, "right, I totally remember you" and end up telling major lies. And what do you wear? The invitation had no dress code. Terrifying.
Well I found a dress, at Wal-mart of all places. It's is so cute - simple black wrap dress but it made me feel like a million bucks. We get there and there are name tags (red flag #1). We walk into the room and it is filled with people (red flag #2). We find a table, the buffet is opened (super sweet Dwight got my plate so I could keep an eye on Scout), and we sit down to eat. We sat with Ricky and Allison - friends of ours from church. And then 2 people I hadn't seen in FOREVER sat down. Robert and Lauren Hance sat with us and I had forgotten how much fun they both were. The night flew by and it seemed like we laughed the entire time. We had a blast and by the end of the night I was wondering what I was so scared of.

Ferberizing
If you saw Meet the Fockers you know about Ferberizing. Its a method to raising your kids. For the past 4 months I have been anti baby methods. I didn't read the books, I didn't really set a schedule and we had a very happy baby. He was sleeping great, he was eating great and he was generally happy. Then last week he stopped sleeping through the night. Neither one of us were happy campers. So I pulled out Baby 411 (I highly recommend it for parents, it evaluates all the how to books and rates them and then answers random questions so you are not calling your doctor all the time) and it recommend the Ferber method. You put the baby in the bed and let him cry it out, going in every 5 minutes to let him know that you didn't go to China (it really said that, as if Scout has some idea of what China is or where it is located), you don't pick them up you have a 30 second interaction and leave. It worked, Scout went to sleep and slept through the night. He woke up at 5:30 and I wasn't bitter. So we are Ferberizing our baby. I will let you know how it goes from here on out.
Here are some pictures from this weekend.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny- I had similar inhibitions about the night (except that I was praying that there would be name tags) and then ended up having so much fun! Why do we get so insecure about such things? It always happens to me- even going to stuff at church sometimes. I guess it helps us grow to get out of our comfort zones once in a while, but not always fun. Thanks for letting us sit with you guys, it really was a blast (and Scout was SOOOO good- as usual).

Courtney said...

Tara, I have absolutely no clue why you would feel insecure in a crowded room! You are always the life of any party and everyone else is thrilled when you walk in. Marrying Dwight just made it better because he is a complete delight to be around and now Scout just makes it the total social package! John and I are always saying how much fun you two are and how much we enjoy being with you in any setting. So glad you guys had fun this weekend (oh, and I'm totally with you about change; I have to fight that battle too)!

Staci said...

I wish Mike and I could've gone to the reunion :( Sounds like you had fun!

We've done the CIO too and it's wonderful! I love how Brody has learned to sleep on his own now rather than needing a crutch to get him to sleep (ie. rocking, nursing, etc.)

The Sexy Knitter said...

It's much less shameful to buy clothes at Wal-Mart now; the advent of the Metro 7 and George lines has brought a never-before-seen quality level to their selections. Even so, the other day I was at Wal-Mart and noticed that they were selling a blazer for $60.00! I was like, "What's wrong with this picture...?"